Relatives both, old and new, and friends:
My wife Yokelin and I thank all of you for joining us in this happy
celebration of the marriage of our younger son Lyndon to Petahn, the
elder daughter of Reece and Sonja McKenna.
Special thanks to those relatives who have come from afar -- June
Cheah and Tom Watters.
We are delighted to welcome Petahn into our family. She complements
Lyndon in ways that are very reassuring for us, and we are sure you will
agree that they make a lovely couple.
Yokelin and I have endeavored to raise our sons Kerwyn and Lyndon so
that they will become responsible adults, imbued with compassion for
the underdog.
We instilled in them old-fashioned Judeo-Christian morality, leavened
with our Confucianist traditions, all tempered by the Western
Enlightenment. Unsurprisingly, a large component of their
temperaments and attitudes reflect these influences.
On many occasions, as the boys were growing up, our earnest efforts
must have been quite trying for them.
Sometimes Lyndon would betray his exasperation with exhortations like
"Get with it Mom" and "Get real Dad". Consequently, Yokelin is now
very much "with it", and I am very "real" these days.
A measure of parental success in upbringing is surely the wisdom with
which our children select their partners for life.
By this measure we have done well with Lyndon. He has chosen in
Petahn a young woman who has given him a stability and focus that are
comforting.
While Yokelin was indeed gratified that Lyndon matured so quickly once
he met Petahn, I became somewhat anxious at his new-found intensity.
I fear overweening ambition -- the kind that leads to hubris.
As we got to know Petahn well, we were very pleased when it became
evident that besides having clear goals in life she also shares our
values.
I therefore asked Petahn a year ago the following: "Can you please
ensure that Lyndon will never take any moral shortcuts in his career and
relationships?"
To my great relief she replied, "I will surely do that; but your fears are
really unfounded, for I believe that Lyndon will never be so tempted!"
Reece and Sonja -- your daughter is a great credit to you, and it is
Lyndon's good fortune that she married him.
Petahn is the second daughter we have always wanted -- Amanda,
Kerwyn's wife, being the first.
These two ladies of exquisite breeding amply fulfilled Yokelin's and my
hopes that our sons would make highly discerning choices in marriage
partners.
To Lyndon and Petahn: your good karma is now ascendant; build on it
with understanding, love and mutual support.
No passage through life can be always placid, but your commitment to
each other will abate all storms.
May your union be blessed with joy and contentment.

No comments:
Post a Comment